Your journey to a happier, more confident life starts with a private, in-depth consultation with your surgeon, where we learn about you and your vision and goals. Discover San Antonio’s premier clinic for plastic surgery.
Understanding the Labiaplasty Procedure
Millions of people have plastic surgery every year to make them look younger, but not many know about San Antonio labiaplasty. This procedure also is called vaginal rejuvenation. It’s often done on women who’ve had children to tighten the vagina and resolve other female anatomy problems.
Some benefits of this procedure include:
- More pleasing aesthetics: Many women think their labia and vagina look more attractive after a labiaplasty. Feeling more attractive in that area can make them feel more comfortable in intimate situations without worrying about rejection or judgment.
- More comfortable: An oversize labia can make some of your daily activities uncomfortable. This issue can make things such as doing yoga or riding a bike painful.
- More self-confidence: It’s challenging to feel good about yourself when there’s a body part that makes you feel self-conscious and unattractive. It’s even more complicated when that body part is in an intimate area. After your labiaplasty, you’ll feel more confident and better about your appearance.
- Enhanced pleasure: An oversize labia can make having sex uncomfortable. This can cause many women to avoid intercourse, which can lead to marital problems.
- More clothing choices: Some clothing items just don’t work with an oversize labia. Tight clothing is too revealing, but you won’t have to worry about this after your labiaplasty.
This guide discusses what a labiaplasty is, why the procedure is done, and more.
What Is a Labiaplasty?
A labiaplasty is one surgical procedure that can be done to rejuvenate the vagina. Many new treatments and devices are being developed annually in this area, and many women are now learning more about labiaplasty.
This surgical procedure aims to make the labia minora smaller, which is the inner tissue of the female genitalia. The idea is to make it flush with your labia majora or the outer area of the female genitalia.
There are several surgical methods available with a labiaplasty, depending on your goals and situation.
Why Choose Labiaplasty?
Women opt for labiaplasty for one or more of these reasons:
- Wanting to enhance sexual activity
Women enjoy many functional benefits by having this procedure; usually, women with larger labia have issues with exercise, hygiene, sexual activity, and infections.
Also, more women today want to wear tight workout pants, yoga pants, and swimsuits. A large labia can make them feel embarrassed to wear tight clothing. And women may feel embarrassed and uncomfortable having sex with their partners.
Common Labiaplasty Procedures
Today there are several labiaplasty procedures available. Your surgeon will review the options with you:
This was the first labiaplasty procedure that involves trimming away the extra parts of the labia minora. It’s then sutured so that it’s symmetrical with your labia majora.
This is a newer labiaplasty procedure when a wedge is taken out from the thickest area of your labia minora. The surgeon leaves the submucosa in place by removing only some of the thickness. This procedure gives your vagina a more natural look because it maintains the wrinkled edges.
There are many cosmetic and functional benefits to a labiaplasty. Many women prefer this surgery because it removes the extra labia skin that can cause discomfort and irritation. Other women like a younger appearance after childbirth or aging.
Are You An Ideal Candidate For Labiaplasty?
Generally, women who don’t like how their vaginal lips look as they age or after pregnancy can be good candidates. If you have hygiene problems, labial irritation, or experience painful sex, this may be a good option. Good candidates should be:
- In good health, so they can tolerate anesthesia and surgery
- Concerned with the appearance of their labia
- Experiencing pain with biking, motorcycling, intercourse, and exercising
- A non-smoker
- Having issues with cleanliness because of an enlarged labia
What You Can Expect
If you want to have a labiaplasty, below is more information about what you can expect:
- Consultation: Your surgeon will talk to you about the reasons you want labiaplasty and see if you have reasonable goals. They also will do a physical exam on that area to see if labiaplasty could help you. She’ll need to know your entire medical history, medications you take, and if you are a smoker.
- Procedure: This procedure is done outpatient in an hour or two. Your surgeon will give you local or general anesthesia before doing the procedure. The surgeon will perform the wedge or trim labiaplasty procedure described earlier.
- Aftermath: Most women take off about a week from work as they have minor pain and swelling. Your doctor will provide you with an elastic undergarment you can wear to ice the ara. It’s also helpful to lie on your rear with it elevated to eliminate swelling. You may need prescription pain pills for a week after labiaplasty.
- Recovery: Most women can start wearing tampons and having sex within four to six weeks. One benefit of trim labiaplasty is a shorter recovery. All swelling should disappear within six months.
Request a Labiaplasty Consultation
If you’re interested in a San Antonio labiaplasty procedure, Dr. Scott J Farber or Dr. Amita Shah of Hill Country Plastic Surgery can help. They will consult with you for your San Antonio breast augmentation today. They’ll go over the risks and benefits of a labiaplasty and determine if you’re a good candidate.
- What Is a Labiaplasty And What Does It Involve? (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/blog/what-is-a-labiaplasty-and-what-does-it-involve
- Why Would A Women Get a Labiaplasty? (2019). Accessed at https://www.verywellhealth.com/why-would-a-woman-get-a-labiaplasty-2709970
- Everything You Need To Know About Labiaplasty. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.healthline.com/health/labiaplasty